Child Custody Attorney in Tulsa
How is Child Custody Determined in Oklahoma?
The primary factor used to determine child custody in Oklahoma is the best interests of the child. Of course, there are various things to consider when determining this, and each case will be different. The judge will consider the following and more when deciding the case:
- The wishes of the child (depending on the child’s age)
- The relationship each parent has with the child
- The relationship the child has with relatives or other important people in the family’s life
- The child’s involvement with the community (religious activities, extracurricular activities, etc.)
- Each parent’s mental and physical abilities
- Any history of abuse with either parent
- Any history of substance abuse with either parent
- Any criminal history with either parent
- Which parent can provide the safest home environment
- The willingness of each parent to cooperate with the other parent
- Each parent’s financial abilities
- Each parent’s ability to make good decisions for the child
- Each parent’s ability to spend time with the child
Do not hesitate to contact our office to learn more about how child custody is decided in Oklahoma.
Keeping Your Child’s Best Interests at the Forefront
If you have questions or concerns, we can help guide you through the process.
Child custody is determined according to the best interests of the child. The terms "custody" and "visitation" have been replaced by terms such as "parenting time" and "residential schedule" with the implementation of new laws designed to sound less adversarial and with the goal of having both parents remain involved in their children's lives. By talking to an experienced family law attorney, you can understand the laws, the family court system, and what the court is likely to decide or approve. If you need to have a court order changed, you will also need someone who understands the modification process.
Any decision you make about your child is important. If you have questions or concerns about child custody, visitation, parenting time, or child support, we can help guide you through the process. We will be happy to answer your questions and assist you in any way possible.
David worked extremely hard to get our adoption completed after taking over the case half way through.- Hayley K.
He's a good guy and lawyer.- John T.
He is very honest and has a great name in community.- Johnathan H.
I couldn't have asked for a better attorney.- Chelsey M.